Joe Achzet on Pole, Rob Warren Outside Row One for 13th Annual Summit Classic 125
Madera, CA – April 25, 2017… Utica, New York’s Joe Achzet destroyed a four year-old track record at Madera Speedway on Tuesday night en route to claiming his first Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), Summit Classic 125 pole position. For the third year in a row, Pulaski, NY resident Rob Warren will start the race on the outside row one.
While it wasn’t much of a shock that Achzet took the pole position given his affinity for speed, even he was surprised by his 11.182 second lap. “I figured I would be in the twos based on practice. I didn’t’ expect that one at all,” he said. His time obliterated the 2013 mark of 11.892 set by Myles Maxon.
When the green flag drops tomorrow night on the 125 lap race, the driver of the Graph X “Black Bandit” plans to live up to his nickname of “The Rabbit” but not in the usual way his competitors are used to. “I’d rather lead. I’d rather dictate the pace of the race,” said Achzet. Then added, “If somebody wants to go and push harder they’re welcome to, but I’d rather set the pace and be on the point.”
Warren Outside Row One for Third Year in a Row
Rob Warren driving the 1st to Finish Race Servers roadster qualified second quick with a time of 11.239 and while happy with his run was impressed by the pole sitter’s fast lap. “Congrats to Joe ,” Warren said. “That’s an evil number to attain. that was impressive.”
Powell Just Misses But Not Worried
“I was not counting on Joe laying down a lap like that,” said third quick qualifier Keith Powell. Powell’s 11.264 lap was just shy of the front row and puts him on the pole for the first qualifying heat. The CPR Motorsports driver isn’t too concerned though saying, “I have to make sure I win my heat race and I can start next to my teammate.”
The top three qualifiers were all in Xtreme chassis’ while Nelson Rodrigues, (P4), was in an Allegresso and Bob Gangwer qualified P5 with a Scriba Turkey Buzzard (Hawk, Jr.) machine. Rodrigues was the only driver in the top five that is not also in the top five in Championship
Callahan to Use Guaranteed Starter
Steve Callahan, a former Summit Classic winner, after a bad run, has chosen to use his Guaranteed Starter to line-up inside row two. That allows him to avoid the qualifying heat races that the rest of the time trialed drivers will have to run. They will line up according to their time trial for the two, 10 lap heats. Anyone that pulls into the pits tomorrow, included Domenic Gioia who had a Guaranteed Starter award, will start the heats based on points handicap since they failed to attempt a time trial.
SUPRS Season Summit Classic Week will close with the 13th Annual Summit Classic 125 tomorrow night at Madera Speedway. The field will be filled by 10 lap qualifying heat races. Action gets underway at 7:00pm with practice. Heats are at 8:15pm and last warm up session at 8:30pm. Driver introductions and pre-race festivities will lead up the to drop of the green flag at 9:00pm for the 13th Annual Summit Classic 125.
Summit Classic 125 for the Fans
For the first time, events of the SUPRS 13th Annual Summit Classic 125 will be streamed alongside of timing, scoring, and track telemetry data on SUPRS LIVE! Fans will enjoy driver interviews, an inside look at Race Control, fan chat, and all the action of the longest consecutively running supermodified sim race. Watch for more details in the coming days and don’t forget to bookmark SUPRS LIVE!
Fans of supermodified racing and online sim racers alike can learn more about the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series by visiting www.SUPRS.net, “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and Viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
- SUPRS 13th Annual Season Summit Classic 125 Time Trials
- Race 41 of 41
- April 25, 2017
- SUPRS rFactor W v7.1 mod
- Madera Speedway
Supermodified Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 14-Joe Achzet; Yorkville, NY; Cottontail Designs, GraphX: 11.314, 11.182
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Race Servers, Designs of Elegance: 11.294, 11.239
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; Icings on Top, CPR Motorsports: 11.418, 11.264
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues; Stoneham, MA; Star Speedway: 11.572, 11.402
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; Wing Side Up Enterprises, RW Woodworking: 11.503, 11.456
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 11.566, 11.474
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports: 11.549, 11.551
- 15-Joey Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Racing for a Cure, CPR Motorsports: 11.786, 11.677
- 77-Kevin Timmins; Baldwinsville, NY; BreezeGraphics.com, Wesley Motorsports: 11.986, 11.898
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 12.102, 12.341
SUPRS Summit Classic 125 History – A SUPRS Triple Crown Race – LaPorte/Cayuga/Madera Speedways
- 2005 Summit Classic 125 Champion-LaPorte Speedway: John Davidson
- 2006 Summit Classic 125 Champion-LaPorte Speedway: John Davidson
- 2007 Summit Classic 125 Champion-LaPorte Speedway: Ray Sand, Jr.
- 2008 Summit Classic 125 Champion-LaPorte Speedway: Ray Sand, Jr.
- 2009 Summit Classic 125 Champion-LaPorte Speedway: Ray Sand, Jr.
- 2010 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Cayuga Speedway: Myles Maxon
- 2011 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Madera Speedway: Ray Sand, Jr.
- 2012 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Madera Speedway: John Davidson
- 2013 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Madera Speedway: Steve Callahan
- 2014 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Madera Speedway: Ray Sand, Jr.
- 2015 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Madera Speedway: Bob Gangwer
- 2016 Summit Classic 125 Champion-Madera Speedway: Bob Gangwer