Non-Wing Supermodified Featured Shortened Due to Server Issues
Avondale, AZ – March 3, 2015…Steve Callahan won the wing supermodified part of the SUPRS Copper World Classic X while Myles Maxon brought home the shortened non-wing supermodified victory at Phoenix International Raceway.
Bob Gangwer and Myles Maxon followed Callahan across the line in the winged supermodified race. Later it was Rob Warren and Callahan joining Maxon on the podium in the non-winged feature race.
Myles Maxon set another New Track Record, (his ninth of the season) in the wing supermodifieds, stopping the clocks with a 22.744 and besting Ray Sand, Jr.’s six year old record of 22.750. Sand, Jr. then qualified fastest of the non-wing supermodifieds at 23.061.
For Callahan, this is the second year in a row that he has won a part of the SUPRS Copper World Classic and now the wing supermodified race trophy will sit right next to his non-wing supermodified hardware from last year. “This feels pretty good,” began the Cayuhoga Falls, OH racer. “I got lucky with the pill draw so that helped but I tried to keep a consistent line and keep it off the way because I knew Myles and Ray would be right behind me the time in the draft.”
“This is a tough track with three different turns and you have to be perfect in every corner and keep the momentum up,” said Callahan “If you don’t you lose so much on the long straight-aways and you get eaten up real quick by the guys behind you.” The non-wing car was junk. I had a lot of fun and appreciate all the work Rob did to try to keep the server going.
Myles Maxon finally got his first win at the SUPRS Copper World Classic after many years of trying, but was quick to give accolades to his fellow competitors. “First of all I want to say congrats to Steve on the win in the wing race. He ran a great race and even though we got up to him we didn’t have anything for him in,” he said.
Maxon went on to talk about his win in the non-wing supermodified part of the event, speaking nonchalantly he said, “The non-wing race it’s hard to tell since we didn’t get the full 25 in but I had a good car and I think Ray was good too.”
“I was pushing the 18 the last couple of races and I got a touch of my own medicine with him pushing me around in the second race. I wish it would have gone the full distance, but thanks to Rob for keeping the server going as long as he did,” concluded Maxon
Maxon never got the chance to test his theory further since Sand, Jr. dropped out after a restart on lap four.
Art Palmer of Wellington, OH made his first SUPRS start in over eight years. Palmer, a racer more accustomed to the rFactor game platform, consistently picked up speed throughout the course of the race and brought his Ford Motorsport entry back to the paddock in one piece.
Chris Meyers of Amherst, OH also returned to SUPRS competition after many weeks off but struggled to get his wing supermodified up to speed. He fared better at the start of the non-wing feature, but dropped out after a restart in the early going.
The 100 lap modified race was canceled because of problems with the race server.
The SUPRS racers head back across the country to Pennsylvania where they will spend the three-nights running the 10th Annual Keystone Nationals from March 9-11. This popular multi-race swing will feature a 50 lap race at Harrisburg Speedway, 50 lap feature at RT 93 Raceway and close with the 11th Annual Randy Witkum Memorial 125 at Jennerstown Speedway on Wednesday March 11.
Fans of supermodified racing and online sim racers alike can learn more about the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series by visiting www.SUPRS.net, “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and Viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- March 3, 2015
- SUPRS Copper World Classic X
Phoenix International Raceway
Supermodified (Wing) Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 79-Myles Maxon; Oswego, NY; Tamarack Golf Club, The Swamp: 22.800, 22.744♦
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; Wing Side Up Enterprises, Ricky’s Sideline Shots: 22.955, 22.807
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; Rochester, NY; SandmanRacing.com: 22.813, 23.015
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cayuhoga Falls, OH; Ice Oil, CPR Motorsports: 22.877, 22.934
- 23-Chris Meyers; Amherst, OH; Oswego Sub Shop, Burch’s Full Throttle Soda Blasting: 23.228, 23.086
- 84-Art Palmer; Wellington, OH; Ford Motorsports, Roush-Yates Racing: 23.323, 23.121
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Docks & Hoists, Designs of Elegance: 23.318, 23.210
Feature – 25 Laps (showing car number, driver, name, bonus, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 55-Steve Callahan; * ** 22.835
- 25-Bob Gangwer; 22.824 | + 0.393
- 79-Myles Maxon; ! 22.707 | +0.838
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; 22.817 | +1.123
- 35-Rob Warren; 23.123 | +10.789
- 23-Chris Meyers; 23.119 | +10.973
- 84-Art Palmer; 23.167 | +16.773
Time of Race: 10:46.375
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
- ♦ Denotes New Track Record
Supermodified (Non-Wing) Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; Rochester, NY; SandmanRacing.com: 23.061, 23.262
- 79-Myles Maxon; Oswego, NY; Tamarack Golf Club, The Swamp: 23.102, 23.236
- 23-Chris Meyers; Amherst, OH; Oswego Sub Shop, Burch’s Full Throttle Soda Blasting: 23.246, 23.236
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Docks & Hoists, Designs of Elegance: 23.301, 23.262
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cayuhoga Falls, OH; Ice Oil, CPR Motorsports: 23.315, 23.412
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; Wing Side Up Enterprises, Ricky’s Sideline Shots: 23.331, 23.499
Feature – 14 Laps ( Race checkered due to server issues-showing car number, driver, name, bonus, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 79-Myles Maxon; * ** ! 22.954
- 35-Rob Warren; N/A | N/A
- 55-Steve Callahan; N/A | N/A
- 25-Bob Gangwer; N/A | N/A
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; N/A | DNF
- 23-Chris Meyers; N/A | DNF
Time of Race: N/A