Rob Warren Takes Caution Filled Christmas Special for Third Year in a Row
December 13, 2016 – Franklin, MI…Rob Warren of Pulaski, NY survived a night of mayhem to win the 13th Annual Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), Christmas Special Tuesday at Mopar Speedway.
For just the second time in the history of the race, the 25 lap, year-end event, was held somewhere other than Bracket Hill Raceway and the new venue was just as challenging, but probably more destructive.
Mopar Speedway has about as much character as any driver could want and some of that character resulted in several multi-car accidents that left every driver glad they were racing virtual supermodifieds instead of the real thing.
The winner was one of those drivers, but being up front has its advantages. Rob Warren had the least amount of damage when he inherited the lead after pole sitter Bob Gangwer looped his car in turn four on lap five.
By the time Gangwer had spun, Warren was already up to second after starting in fifth and watching all the drivers that started in front of him, (Chad Phelps, Joe Achzet and Domenic Gioia and Gangwer), all go to the tail due to spins or crashes before he got the lead.
“My biggest worry was running out of fuel,” said Warren. “I really thought I was going to run out of fuel. Now all I have to worry about having enough of is adult root beer.”
“Lots, and lots, and lots of action on that track tonight, I didn’t expect to get the win, and I wouldn’t be too upset if we didn’t run here again in a very long time,” expressed the winner.
“I had it sideways at one point and I have to thank “Steady” Steve Callahan for not turning me around, he had every chance too, but he ran me clean,” he said.
Warren was awarded the winner’s present of a Burgers’ Smokehouse Ozark Country ham and for the third time he won’t be able to enjoy because, in the true spirit of the Christmas season, he has again donated the ham to an injured supermodified racer. “I think that ham needs to go to Jeff Russell and his family,” stated Warren.
Russell is a Boise, ID supermodified racer that was critically injured during the last practice session for the Supermodified Racing Association, (SMRA), October 2010 Speedfest event at The Bullring in Las Vegas, NV. Russell suffered Traumatic Brain Injury as well as many other serious injuries and continues to recover at his home in Idaho.
Keith Powell, and Brian Potvin, who returned to SUPRS competition for the first time in over six months finished in the top five.
Earlier in the night Warren set the stage for a fast night of racing by stopping the time trial clocks with a 12.803 second lap time which is a track record.
Bob Gangwer won the eight lap Reindeer Dash, while Kevin Timmins picked up the heat race win.
While nearly all the SUPRS drivers were glad to move on from Mopar, there was plenty of camaraderie and good-natured joking as they get ready to take a break from supermodified sim racing.
SUPRS now heads into a two-week lay-off allowing members to spend time with their family and friends during the Christmas and New Year season. The next scheduled race is the always zany Cray Canuck Snowball Derby and Can-Am Challenge, and like the 13th Christmas Special it will be held at a new track. SUPRS Mosport Speedway by NegB Track Designs is where everyone will meet after the New Year on Tuesday January 3, 2017. Practice gets underway at 8:00pm with racing set for 9:00pm.
Fans can learn more about the original and oldest online supermodified sim sanction, the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, when they visit www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
13th Christmas Special
- Race 13 of 42
- December 13, 2016
- SUPRS rFactor W v7.0 mod
- Mopar Speedway
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Race Servers, Designs of Elegance: 12.905, 12.803
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 12.904 12.865
- 14-Joe Achzet; Yorkville, NY; Cottontail Designs, GraphX: 12.925, 13.567
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports: 13.006, 13.089
- X-Chad Phelps; New Haven, NY; Haun Welding Supply, Disturbed Motorsports: 13.239, 13.016
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; Icings on Top, CPR Motorsports: 13.108, 13.174
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; RW Woodworking, Wing Side Up Enterprises: 13.315, 13.191
- 9-Domenic Gioia; Oswego, NY; Pabst Blue Ribbon, Team Domination Motorsports: 13.645, 13.243
- 77-Kevin Timmins; Baldwinsville, NY; BreezeGraphics.com, Wesley Motorsports: 13.641, 13.251
- 50-Brian Potvin; Hudson, NY; NegB Track Designs: 13.547, 13.394
- 15-Joey Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Jack Daniels, CPR Motorsports: 13.591, 13.698
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues; Stoneham, MA; Star Speedway: 13.832, 13.767
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 15.245, 13.904
Reindeer Dash-8 Laps (showing finish, car number, driver name)
- 25-Bob Gangwer
- X-Chad Phelps
- 14-Joe Achzet
- 9-Domenic Gioia
- 35-Rob Warren
- 38-Kyle Clark
- 55-Steve Callahan
- 41-Keith Powell
Heat Race-10 Laps (showing finish, car number, driver name)
- 77-Kevin Timmins
- 15-Joey Callahan
- 42-Carl Becker
- 50-Brian Potvin
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues
Feature – 25 Laps (showing car number, driver, name, bonus, starting position, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 35-Rob Warren; * | ** | P5 | 13.009
- 14-Joe Achzet; * | P3 | 12.950 | +0.296
- 55-Steve Callahan; P7 | 13.124 | +0.556
- 41-Keith Powell: P8 | 13.085 | +0.708
- 50-Brian Potvin P12 | 13.292 | +2.461
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues P13 | 13.366 | +3.292
- 25-Bob Gangwer; * | P1 | 13.322 | +3.513
- 77-Kevin Timmins: P9 | 13.593| +4.745
- 42-Carl Becker; P11 | 13.383 | +5.655
- 9-Domenic Gioia: P4 | 13.515 | +8.976
- 38-Kyle Clark: ! | P6 | 12.933 | +1 Lap
- X-Chad Phelps: P2 | 13.286 | +1 Lap
- 15-Joey Callahan: P10 | 13.495 | DNF (Pulled off)
Time of Race: 19:36.527
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
- Brian Potvin and Nelson Rodrigues both advanced seven places from their starting place.
- There were eight cautions for a total of 33 laps.
- This was car count tied for the second highest amount ever at this race.