Kyle Clark Held Two SUPRS Champions at Bay to Close Out Speedweeks 2018 with Five Flags Speedway Win
February 9, 2018 – Lakeland, FL…Kyle Clark of Mexico, NY was able to keep two SUPRS champions behind him to become the fifth different winner in five nights of Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), Florida Speedweeks 2018 competition. Leading all 50 laps he had to fight to keep second place finisher Rob Warren, and third place racer Keith Powell from passing him at Five Flags Speedway.
Clark took off at the start of the race and looked to be in great shape, until defending SUPRS Gold Crest Wing Supermodified Champion Rob Warren closed the gap after starting in fifth place. It wasn’t long until a rim-riding Keith Powell caught them both to make it a three-way battle.
With no cautions to slow the pace, Clark kept his number 38 Coors’ Light Silver Bullet pointed in the right direction and denied repeated challenged by Warren and to some degree Powell. Warren ended up in second and Powell wasn’t upset to finish third.
Powell Crowned Speedweeks Champion
Keith Powell’s finish was enough to snag the SUPRS Florida Speedweeks crown for the second year in a row with 275 points total. Powell is now the first driver to ever win the Speedweeks championship two years in a row and is now the third driver to win it multiple times.
Powell also had the best finishing average of the swing and had one fast qualifier award and a win.
- 4: Different drivers were fast qualifiers
- 200: Total of Speedweeks Feature Laps Run
- 78: Total Minutes to Complete Speedweeks Features.
- 11: Different tracks with Five Flags Speedway to host a SUPRS Florida Speedweeks show.
- 6: Total Hours of Live Speedweeks Video
Winter Western Swing Starts Next Week at Phoenix
With a very short turn around the supermodified sim racers now begin their trek across the bottom of the United States to begin the The SUPRS Winter Western Swing. Consisting of
seven races that stretch through five states west of the Mississippi.
Swing Starts in Phoenix
The SUPRS Winter Western Swing begins with the SUPRS Copper World Classic XIV presented by Kern Motorsports February 13 at Phoenix International Raceway.
Modeled after the original Copper World Classic that featured supermodified racing at PIR, the SUPRS version features wing and non-wing supermodified sim racing using the rFactor platform. Each division will run a 25 lap feature, and as the sun goes down in the desert, points from both feature finishes will be tallied to decide the overall 2018 SUPRS Copper World Classic Champion.
Fans can see all the SUPRS Winter WEstern Swing with SUPRS LIVE! It’s easy to keep up with your favorite SUPRS racer instantly with live streaming video, stats, and track telemetry by visiting www.SUPRS.net/site/live.
Get Social with SUPRS
Fans can learn more about the original supermodified sim sanction, the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, by visiting www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube. See us live and join our chat on Twitch.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- SUPRS Florida Speedweeks Night 5
- Race 25 of 42
- Friday, February 9, 2018
- SUPRS rFactor W v7.2 mod
- Five Flags Speedway
- 50 laps
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; Icings on Top, CPR Motorsports: 14.404, 14.222
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Race Servers, Designs of Elegance: 14.447, 14.260
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; B&G Racing Photos, RW Woodworking 14.484, 14.335
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 14.442, 14.426
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues; Stoneham, MA; Star Speedway: 14.471, 14.477
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports: 14.588, 14.625
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 14.979, 14.976
Feature 50 Laps (showing car number, driver name, sponsors, bonus, starting position, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 38-Kyle Clark: * | ** | P2 | 14.419
- 35-Rob Warren: P5 | 14.396 | + 0.135
- 41-Keith Powell: ! | P7 | 14.251 | +0.306
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues: P3 | 14.410 | +7.272
- 55-Steve Callahan: P4 | 14.360 | +7.500
- 25-Bob Gangwer: P6| 14.397| +7.579
- 42-Carl Becker: P1 | 14.896 | +2 Laps
Time of Race: 12:14.567
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race