Chris Meyers Becomes Only Second Driver in SUPRS History to Win Prestigious Race More Than Once
Rander, MI – December 9, 2014…Three former race champions and the current point leader made for an exciting 62 laps at Rander Speedway and when it was all said and done, it all came down to lapped traffic and gutsy moves with Chris Meyers laying claim to the 11th Annual Dion Parish Memorial for the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series.
The win was the second ever Parish Memorial victory for the Amherst, OH racer, (his first coming in 2008), and he was joined on the podium by defending race champion Ray Sand, Jr., and 2011 winner Steve Callahan.
Callahan started on the pole and led 57 laps of the race only to have Meyers sneak by as the top four closed in on traffic with five laps to go.
“First off I’d like to dedicate this to Bonnie Shullick and the Shullick family,” began Meyers. “The race was pretty good. I think Ray got into Myles and like the champion he is, he let Myles go back by and it probably cost him a spot and then I got by too. When they (Callahan and Maxon) caught lapped traffic i was able to put the car to the inside and got right by Myles and then got by Steve too”
Ray Sand, Jr. made his first SUPRS start since October and said, “That was a blast and I’m just glad to be back.”
“I have to apologize to Myles because early on, I don’t know what happened to be honest, but I saw a little bit of an opening and I pounced on it and probably shouldn’t have but I moved high and let him back by and then Chris went by too.”
Even though he came home in third place, Callahan was disappointed with the way the race finished saying, “First of all congrats to Chris, I guess he wanted it more than I did.”
“This one is for Dion, it’s an honor to run this one and we’ll try again next week,” stated Callahan.
SUPRS is back in action next week with their final race of 2014. The 11th Annual Christmas Special will be run at Bracket Hill Raceway and the winner of the 25 lap feature will receive a Christmas Ham from Burgers’ Smokehouse. Practice gets underway at 8:00pm, while racing starts at 9:00pm.
Fans of supermodified racing and online sim racers alike are encouraged to learn more about the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series by visiting www.SUPRS.net, “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and Viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
11th Annual Dion Parish Memorial 62
NASCAR Heat Gold Crest Wing Supermodified
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; Rochester, NY; SandmanRacing.com: 11.487, 11.560
- 79-Myles Maxon; Oswego, NY; Tamarack Golf Club, The Swamp: 11.659, 11.520
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cayuhoga Falls, OH; Ice Oil, CPR Motorsports: 11.530, 11.641
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 11.562, 11.691
- 23-Chris Meyers; Amherst, OH; Burch’s Full Throttle Soda Blasting, Oswego Sub Shop: 11.595, 11.599
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Docks & Hoists, Designs of Elegance: 11.600, 11.812
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; Wing Side Up Enterprises, Ricky’s Sideline Shots: 11.605, 11.894
- 52-Dave Brigandi; Syracuse, NY; Pizza Hut, Terry: 11.974, 11.786
Feature-62 Laps (showing car number, driver, bonus, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 23-Chris Meyers;* 11.502
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; ! 11.471 | +0.380
- 55-Steve Callahan;* ** 11.510 | +1.043
- 79-Myles Maxon; 11.474 | +1.197
- 35-Rob Warren; 11.588 |+8.099
- 25-Bob Gangwer; 11.569 | +9.645
- 42-Carl Becker; 11.557| +1
- 52-Dave Brigandi; 11.525 | +1
Time of Race: 13:39.621
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
- ^ Denotes SUPRSCharger