Keith Powell Keeps His Wits Through Wild Race to Win Black Kat Klassic
Coyote Junction, KY – October 25, 2016…Keith Powell proved he was one cool “Kat” on his way to winning his first Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), Black Kat Klassic Tuesday night at Red Ball Raceway. Braving a very fast track and wild racing action around him, Powell led all but one lap on his way to victory over second place finisher Rob Warren and Bob Gangwer who came home a distant third.
The feature race had seven cautions for 30 laps as drivers fought to keep control of their wing supermodifieds on this high banked 5/8 and with tires blistering as drivers fought to keep the car stuck to the race track over the bumpy surface, there were plenty of nerve-wracking moments for the winner.
“The scariest part of my race was every time a caution would come out,” said the Carrollton, OH resident. “I would gain a bit of a lead and I could cool my tires down, then the caution would come out and they’d be right back on me and I knew I had a couple of fast guys right there behind me at the end.”
Powell was quick to switch the focus to others saying, “I want to say thanks to Jim Mayfield he helped me out again tonight with the setup and thanks to Icings on Top and my CPR Teammates. Congratulations to Rob and Bobby on their podium finishes and my CPR Motorsports teammates. We got the win, the track record, (Steve Callahan), and Joey, (Callahan), came home with a good run.”
Last year’s winner Rob Warren was close to becoming the first back to back winner but came up just a few tenths shy. He said, “I’m just glad to finish this. I just wanted to make it to the finish tonight. Congrats to Keith, I had nothing for him he had a real good race car.”
Bob Gangwer, who won the opening salvo of the 2016-17 Gold Crest Wing Championship last week at LaPorte Speedway came home third, was happy to hang on as well. “First off, congratulations to KP on the win man and to Rob on a heckuva run for second. I’m just happy to come out with a decent run after a lot very close calls. In a race that produced a thrill every lap with the speed and bumps, it was an accomplishment just to keep the car under me and hope there was enough tire left at the end.”
Powell’s win continues a 13 year streak of SUPRS never having a driver win the first two consecutive race of the season and moves the 2016 SUPRS Gold Crest Non-Wing Champion into the lead of the current wing supermodified sim racing season.
Earlier in the evening, Steve Callahan set a track record with a blistering run of 10.628 seconds. Powell then won the Crack the Whip race, while Derrick Backus claimed the heat race win.
Next week the SUPRS racers embark on what most consider the toughest multi-race swing of the season. The 13th Annual North Carolina Swing features five different tracks in three nights of racing where racers will vie for the coveted North Carolina Swing Championship Crown. The series kicks off Wednesday, November 2nd at Dasera Speedway and Caraway Speedway, moves to Southern National Motorsports Park for first race of night two with Concord Motorsports Park completing the qualifying races of the swing the same night.
The swing finishes off at Hickory Motor Speedway on Friday, November 4th where the winner of challenging “Hickory Hustle 75” will be crowned North Carolina Swing Champion and gain 20 bonus points in the SUPRS Gold Crest Wing Championship.
Supermodified and sim racing fans alike can view timing and scoring including track telemetry of races three and four as well as The Hickory Hustle during the 13th Annual North Carolina Swing with SUPRS LIVE! You’ll be able to keep up with your favorite SUPRS racer in an instant by going to www.SUPRS.net/site/live.
Learn more about the original supermodified sim racing sanction and read about real supermodified racing with a visit to www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- Black Kat Klassic
- October 25, 2016
- SUPRS rFactor W v7.0 mod
- Red Ball Raceway
Time Trials – (showing car number, driver name,hometown, sponsors, fast lap underlined-Elite 8 eligible for Crack the Whip)
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports: 10.628, 10.653
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; Icings on Top, CPR Motorsports: 10.629, 10.657
- 14-Joe Achzet; Yorkville, NY; Cottontail Designs, GraphX: 10.641, 10.664
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Race Servers, Designs of Elegance: 10.729, 10.730
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 10.882, 11.050
- 15-Joey Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH: Jack Daniels, CPR Motorsports: 10.909, 10.938
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; B&G Racing Photos, Wing Side Up Enterprises: 11.066, 11.178
- 77-Kevin Timmins; Baldwinsville, NY; BreezeGraphics.com, Wesley Motorsports: 11.415, 11.479
- 9-Domenic Gioia; Oswego, NY; Pabst Blue Ribbon, Team Domination Motorsports: 11.667, 11.916
- 52-Dave Brigandi; Syracuse, NY; Buffalo Biodiesel, Terry: 12.190, 12.540
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 13.200, NT
- 61-Derrick Backus; Mexico, NY; Disturbed Motorsports: NT
Crack the Whip – 8 Laps (showing car number, driver name)
- 41-Keith Powell
- 14-Joe Achzet
- 35-Rob Warren
- 77-Kevin Timmins
- 15-Joey Callahan
- 55-Steve Callahan
- 38-Kyle Clark
- 25-Bob Gangwer
Heat Race – 10 Laps (showing car number, driver name)
- 61-Derrick Backus
- 9-Domenic Gioia
- 52-Dave Brigandi
- 42-Carl Becker
Feature – 50 Laps (showing car number, driver, name, bonus, starting place/fastest lap/distance behind winner)
- 41-Keith Powell; */**/!/1/10.784
- 35-Rob Warren; 3/10.970/+0.565
- 25-Bob Gangwer; 8/11.011/+1.685
- 15-Joey Callahan; 5/11.062/+3.853
- 55-Steve Callahan; 6/11.188/+1 Lap
- 9-Domenic Gioia; 10/11.676/+2 Laps
- 77-Kevin Timmins; 4/11.840/+3 Laps
- 61-Derrick Backus; 9/11.058/+4 Laps
- 38-Kyle Clark; 7/11.028/+5 Laps
- 14-Joe Achzet; 2/10.872/+7 Laps
- 42-Carl Becker; 12/12.222/ +11 Laps
- 52-Dave Brigandi; 11/12.562 /DNF (+41 Laps-pulled off)
Time of Race: 25:33.358
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
“Supermodified Sim Racing for the Right Reasons” since 2004