Keith Powell Steals USA International Speedway Win from Teammate on Last Lap
February 8, 2018 – Lakeland, FL…On a night filled with cautions and chaos, Keith Powell kept his cool and easily drove around his CPR Motorsports teammate Steve Callahan on the last lap of the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), Florida Speedweeks 2018 feature on Thursday at USA International Speedway. Callahan crashed at the end but ended up second and Bob Gangwer drove through a wreck to luck into third.
From the Back to the Front
Powell started dead last, but used patience and a lot of luck guiding the “Mayfield Missile” through the myriad of spinning cars and flying pieces and parts. It was no easy task as the race couldn’t make it past the first start or the subsequent restart with the caution flying.
Before the halfway point though he was able to make his way to second after many of the front-runners spun or crashed out. This made his next task, getting to the lead, somewhat easier, if not a little less nerve-wracking.
First Win of Speedweeks Could Mean Championship
After finishing second here last year, and stringing together five second place finishes in a row, Powell, the defending Speedweeks Champion, finally cracked into the win column for the week. This win was Powell’s second of the season, but more importantly pads his Speedweeks Championship points total by 15 over his nearest competitor Bob Gangwer.
If he can finish on the podium tomorrow for the last show, it’s likely he’ll become the first repeat Florida Speedweeks Champion in SUPRS history.
First Time at Five Flags
The fifth and last night of SUPRS Florida Speedweeks takes place tomorrow night for the first time at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, FL. This track is most well-known for holding the famous Snowball Derby every year, but has also seen it’s fair share of supermodified racing throughout its history.
Fans can join in the final night of Florida Speedweeks fun by watching SUPRS LIVE! from Five Flags. It’s easy to keep up with your favorite SUPRS racer instantly with live streaming video, stats, and track telemetry by visiting www.SUPRS.net/site/live.
Get Social with SUPRS
Fans can learn more about the original supermodified sim sanction, the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, by visiting www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube. See us live and join our chat on Twitch.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- SUPRS Florida Speedweeks Night 4
- Race 25 of 42
- Thursday, February 8, 2018
- SUPRS rFactor W v7.2 mod
- USA International Speedway
- 25 laps
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 15.348, 15.650
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues; Stoneham, MA; Star Speedway: 15.413, 15.562
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports: 15.414, 15.562
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Race Servers, Designs of Elegance: 15.451, 15.475
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; B&G Racing Photos, RW Woodworking 15.741, 15.549
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; Icings on Top, CPR Motorsports: 15.722, 15.670
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 16.829, 16.052
- X-Chad Phelps; New Haven, NY; Haun Welding Supply, Disturbed Motorsports: 16.350, 16.778
Feature 25 Laps (showing car number, driver name, sponsors, bonus, starting place, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 41-Keith Powell: * | P8 | 15.374
- 55-Steve Callahan: * | ** | P4 | 15.478 | +0.971
- 25-Bob Gangwer: P6| 15.350 | +1.566
- 38-Kyle Clark: P3 | 15.403| + 1.72
- 35-Rob Warren: P6 | 15.435 | + 5.189
- X-Chad Phelps: P5 | 15.591 | +5.362
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues: ! | * | P2 | 15.307 | +11.905
- 42-Carl Becker: P1 | 118.302 | +5 Laps
Time of Race: 16:06.516
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
****2018 SUPRS Florida Speedweeks Schedule****
SUPRS Florida Speedweeks Race 5
- Five Flags Speedway-50 laps-1/2 Mile
- 8:00pm Practice
- 8:15pm Drivers Meeting
- 8:30pm Time Trials
- 9:00pm Racing
- Current Track Record: N/A
- Defending Race Winner: N/A
- rFactor platform SUPRS W v7.2 mod