Keith Powell 2016 SUPRS Mr. Online Supermodified, Wins Title by One Point
August 2, 2016-Oswego, NY…Keith “Put One on Ya” Powell put the “POW” on the rest of the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), competitors and claimed his second Mr. Online Supermodified title Tuesday night at Oswego Speedway by just one point.
Powell’s second feature win in a row of the 2016 Gold Crest Non-Wing Supermodified Championship season was enough to push him over the top of the night-long points battle and he won the Mr. Online Supermodified Cup presented by 1st to Finish Race Servers over the driver he is battling for the SUPRS Gold Crest Non-Wing Season Championship, Rob Warren.
“Oh man I love these long races,” exclaimed Powell. “There’s just something about them, the longer the better.”
As always, Powell was quick to think of other people before himself saying, “First of all I have to thank Rob, (Warren), for driving me with respect, he caught me a couple of times in lapped traffic and he probably could have forced the issue if he wanted to, but he drove me clean. I want to thank Mayfield Garage, Icings on Top. This win is for my buddy and teammate’s boy JJ it’s his birthday today and that’s why Steve, (Callahan), couldn’t be here.”
The unique format for the 9th Annual Mr. Online Supermodified used a points system that joined the points that a driver earned from time trials, his heat finish and his feature finish. Going into the feature, only four points separated Powell and Warren, and with both drivers embroiled in a fierce battle for the overall SUPRS Gold Crest Non-Wing Championship, as well as having to start at the bottom half of the field, it was anyone’s guess who would prove the strongest SUPRS hero and win the overall Mr. Online Supermodified Championship.
Powell, wasted no time leaping to the front, masterfully weaving his way to the lead by the end of the backstretch on the start.
It was an awesome race for me, I slipped up to the front pretty easily. I’m just pumped and I won this race once before and it’s on my list of races that I want to win and I did it again………
“Rocket” Rob Warren was outwitted once again by his main nemesis in the points championship, and expressed his frustration with trying to keep Powell within reach.
“I just don’t think I had anything for Keith except for a spot with about 15 to go. I was trying to figure out how, and if, and when I could get around him and I was trying to plot my move but then the brakes got spongy, but he had a good car tonight,” Warren said.
“Congrats to Keith on the win and Joe on the podium. It was ap pretty good race, a pretty clean once we finally got running,” added Warren.
Joe “The Rabbit” Achzet picked up his second podium finish of the season but not before he found himself a in an early snare.
“I got into that jingle with Chad, (Phelps), for that first caution and it I was just kind of hanging on,” said the driver of the GraphX No. 14. “I was the best of the rest tonight and other than being able to catch up a little in traffic, I didn’t have anything for those guys up front.”
Rookie Kyle Clark had another good run and battled his way back to finish fourth after an incident with Kevin Timmins that sent him to the tail. Bob Gangwer held on for fifth, while Rob Warren set fast time and won his heat. Chad Phelps also picked up a heat race win.
With Keith Powell claiming his second 2016 Mr. Online Supermodified, he now joins Bob Gangwer and Kris Heveron as the only other two-time winners of the event. The ten bonus points he received for the feat canceled out with Warren being named SUPRSCharger of the race after advancing six places and getting ten points for doing so. At the end of the night, Warren kept himself hot on the heels of the Carrollton, OH racer in the SUPRS Gold Crest Non-Wing Points Championship, sitting just 20 markers back with just three shows left in the season.
The SUPRS non-wing supermodified sim racing championship season continues on August 9 at Oswego Speedway with “The Whistler” the 12th Annual Pete Trenca Memorial. Practice starts at 8:30 pm with the green flag dropping for racing action at 9:00 pm. “The Whistler” honors one of the non-racing legends of Oswego Speedway, Peter “Program” Trenca who was part of the original founding members of the Eagles Fan Club and for many years was one of the first people fans saw when they entered Oswego Speedway as he sold the Oswego Speedway “Eagle” souvenir program at the front gate.
Supermodified and sim racing fans alike can view timing and scoring as well as track telemetry of this and every SUPRS race this season with SUPRS LIVE! You’ll be able to keep up with your favorite SUPRS racer in an instant by going to www.SUPRS.net/site/live.
Learn more about the original supermodified sim racing sanction and read about real supermodified racing with a visit to www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- 9th Annual Mr. Online Supermodified
- August 2, 2016
- SUPRS rFactor NW V1.2 mod
- SUPRS Oswego Speedway V1.2
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, first and second lap-fastest lap underlined)
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Race Servers, Syracuse Time and Alarm: 17.096, 16.716
- 14-Joe Achzet; Yorkville, NY; GraphX: 16.794, 16.741
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; CPR Motorsports, Icings on Top: 17.227, 16.856
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 16.962, 16.857
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; B&G Racing Photos, Wing Side Up Enterprises: 17.088, 16.899
- X-Chad Phelps; New Haven, NY; Haun Welding Supply, Disturbed Motorsports: 17.487, 17.167
- 9-Domenic Gioia; Oswego, NY; Pabst Blue Ribbon, Team Domination Motorsports: 17.419, 17.194
- 15-Joey Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports: 17.574, 17.199
- 77-Kevin Timmins; Baldwinsville, NY; Wesley Motorsports, BreezeGraphics.com: 17.630, 17.215
- 52-Dave Brigandi; Syracuse, NY; Buffalo Biodiesel, Terry: NT
Heat Race 1 – 12 Laps (showing car number, driver name-top 4 eligible for feature invert)
- 35-Rob Warren
- 41-Keith Powell
- 25-Bob Gangwer
- 77-Kevin Timmins
- 9-Domenic Gioia
Heat Race 2 – 12 Laps (showing car number, driver name-top 4 eligible for feature invert)
- X-Chad Phelps
- 38-Kyle Clark
- 15-Joey Callahan
- 14-Joe Achzet
- 52-Dave Brigandi
Feature – 75 Laps (showing car number, driver, name, bonus, starting place/fastest lap/distance behind winner)
- 41-Keith Powell; */**/!/6/16.546
- 35-Rob Warren; ^/8/16.604/+1.674
- 14-Joe Achzet; 7/16.660/+6.967
- 38-Kyle Clark; 5/16.737/+2.350/+1 Lap
- 25-Bob Gangwer; 4/16.799/+1 Lap
- X-Chad Phelps; 3/ 16.950/+1 Lap
- 9-Domenic Gioia; 9/17.059/+2 Laps
- 77-Kevin Timmins; 1/17.181/DNF-pulled off)
- 52-Dave Brigandi; 10/18.115 /DNF-pulled-off)
- 15-Joey Callahan; DNS
Time of Race: 26:35.232
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
- ^ Denotes SUPRSCharger
- The first start was called back
- Joey Callahan dropped connection after first attempt
- There were 2 cautions for a total of 8 laps
- Keith Powell led all 75 laps
- Keith Powell had fastest lap of race-16.546
- Rob Warren was SUPRSCharger (+6 positions)