The “X-Man” Chad Phelps Gets First Speedweeks Win at New Smyrna Speedway
New Smyrna Beach, FL – February 8, 2017…As has been the case in the previous three races run here, the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), Florida Speedweeks event at New Smyrna Speedway was a thriller on Wednesday night with Chad Phelps claiming a narrow victory over Rob Warren. Surviving a dog-fight through the pack, Joe Achzet ended up in third.
After finishing in third place Tuesday night at Black Creek Raceway, Phelps used the momentum to become the third different winner in the three races run thus far during Speedweeks.
His win was cause for celebration after having a rough season prior to the start of Speedweeks.
“This feels good. A couple of days ago I was in the outhouse now it feels like I’m in the penthouse, this feels real good. I’m really happy,” said an elated Phelps.
Phelps, who drives the Haun Welding Supply machine, went into the race with a solid plan of staying out of trouble early. He explained, “On the start I was just trying to stay clean and not do anything dumb and try to be patient. I just wanted to run away and hide.”
He made his way into the lead from his fourth place starting spot early and built up a solid lead over the rest of the field. But then he plan started to unravel when he noticed the scoreboard and saw point leader Rob Warren in second.
“I was doing good but then boy I was messing myself up getting into my head when I saw the 35, (Warren), coming,” stated Phelps
Warren Catches Up
It’s all Rob Warren needed to close a gap of nearly one second and set up a shootout that had an extra twist that nearly resulted in disaster for both drivers.
“Chad over drove the entry to turn one,” related Warren. I went to the bottom and just as I went to the bottom the lapped car came flying across in front of us
“I threaded the needle between the two of them but Chad did an awesome crossover and we went down the backstretch side by side. I thought he would overdrive the corner and I planned to dive under him in turn three, but he didn’t.
“Congratulations to Chad what an awesome run. I’m happy and it’s far more important to have a clean fun race than to me than to have a win. Congratulations again to Chad,” Warren concluded.
Dog-Fight for Final Podium Step
While the top two were having their own gentleman’s duel, a knock-down drag-out of a brawl for the last podium step was going on behind them.
Monday’s winner Keith Powell, Tuesday’s winner Joe Achzet, Bob Gangwer, Carl Becker and for a little while Dave Brigandi, swapped positions, as often as the paint on their nerf bars would allow.
The close quarters and incredible speeds led to multiple moments of nail-biting action that left Brigandi knocked out, Powell, Gangwer and Becker standing in the back alley waiting for more, and Achzet bellying up to the podium, tired, but happy.
“I knew it was going to be tough,” said Achzet. “Bob, Keith, and Dave for a while and Carl was right there too, it was an absolute dogfight.”
With his podium, he keeps his lead in the week-long Florida Speedweeks Championship, but admitted it was the hardest race of the week so far. “That was a tough fought third place. I’m more tired tonight finishing third than I was after the second or first pace the last two nights,” he said.
Joe Achzet was just a couple of ticks off the 14.042 second track record set by Myles Maxon in 2015 when he stopped the clocks at 14.094 in time trials. Rob Warren scorched the track when he set the fastest lap of the race with a 14.080.
Phelps is now the fourth different winner in the four races that SUPRS has run at this famous track and is the 22 different driver to claim a SUPRS Florida Speedweeks feature.
Phelps and the rest of the SUPRS crew continue their week-long trek through Florida tomorrow evening and will race for the first time inside of Dodge Raceway Stadium.
As racers vie for first place in the cramped confines of this rFactor track in 50 lap feature race, fans will be able to follow along with SUPRS LIVE! on race night. Keep up with your favorite SUPRS racer in an instant by visiting www.SUPRS.net/site/live.
Systems checks begin at 7:00pm, with Practice starting at 8:00pm. Time Trials are at 8:15pm followed by Racing at 9:00pm.
Learn more about supermodified racing and online supermodified sim racing by visiting www.SUPRS.net, “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and Viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- SUPRS Florida Speedweeks Night 3
- Race 23 of 42
- Wednesday, February 8, 2017
- SUPRS NASCAR Heat W v6 mod
- New Smyrna Speedway
- 50 laps
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 14-Joe Achzet; Yorkville, NY; Cottontail Designs, GraphX: 14.219, 14.094
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; Wing Side Up Enterprises, RW Woodworking 14.173, 14.114
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Docks & Hoists, Designs of Elegance: 14.230, 14.178
- 41-Keith Powell; Carrollton, OH; Icings on Top, CPR Motorsports: 14.523, 14.212
- 38-Kyle Clark; Mexico, NY; Coors’ Light, Disturbed Motorsports: 14.500, 14.258
- 42-Carl Becker; Lansing, MI; Wholesale Diamond Exchange, Michigan Hill Gang: 14.288, 14.262
- X-Chad Phelps; New Haven, NY; Haun Welding Supply, Disturbed Motorsports: 14.353, 14.278
- 52-Dave Brigandi; Syracuse, NY; Brigandi Carpet and Tile, Terry: 14.625, 14.409
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues; Stoneham, MA; Star Speedway: 14.809, 14.507
- 77-Kevin Timmins; Baldwinsville, NY; BreezeGraphics.com, Wesley Motorsports: 15.504, 14.896
Feature 50 Laps (showing car number, driver name, sponsors, bonus, starting position, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- X-Chad Phelps: * | ** | P4 |
- 35-Rob Warren: ! | P5 | 14.080 | 0.191
- 14-Joe Achzet: P8 | 14.102 | 5.504
- 41-Keith Powell: P7 | 14.159 | +6.297
- 25-Bob Gangwer: P6 | 14.097 | +6.412
- 42-Carl Becker: P3 | 14.156 | 6.736
- 38-Kyle Clark: P2 | 14.179| +1 Laps
- 77-Kevin Timmins: P10 | 14.384 | +1 Laps
- 7-Nelson Rodrigues: P9 | 14.482 |+3 Laps
- 52-Dave Brigandi: P1 | 14.242 | DNF (Pulled Off)
Time of Race: 12:42.689
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race