Third SUPRS Turkey Shoot Victory for Ray Sand, Jr.
Memphis, TN – November 17, 2015…Ray Sand, Jr. held onto a rapidly deteriorating non-wing sim supermodified to bag the 11th Annual Turkey Shoot for the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series at Memphis Motorsports Park.
After the first start was waved off, the race went the full 50 laps without a caution and on his way to the win Sand, Jr. led 43 laps after an early battle with Domenic Gioia. Bob Gangwer and Rob Warren finished on the podium.
“I’ll tell ya what I had fun tonight, “Sand, Jr. stated. He went on to comment on his race with Gioia and explain his concerns about the end of the race, “I used up my stuff big-time there. I did my best to run Dom clean and I was really ecstatic that I was able to get on the outside and work that groove and make the pass. Domenic had a helluva run going, I don’t know where he finished but he looked really strong tonight.”
It was the Rochester, NY native’s third Turkey Shoot victory and with it comes another Thanksgiving turkey from Burgers’ Smokehouse. “I never get tired of winning the Burgers’ turkey or ham because my family loves them and it’s a nice touch that SUPRS does,” he said.
Sand, Jr. paused then added, “This year though, I want to donate my Burgers’ Smokehouse turkey to Myles Maxon and his family, they need a little holiday cheer right now.” Maxon and his family are grieving over the loss of their maternal grandmother.
Gioia, after getting the job on “The Sandman” at the drop of the green flag, got the car loose on lap seven out of turn two allowing Sand, Jr. to slide by on the high side.
As Gioia struggled to gain control, Gangwer, Callahan and then Warren also went by while battling side by side and sometimes three-abreast, aiding Sand, Jr. as he pulled away.
Callahan got back past Gangwer and held second spot for some time before Gangwer went back around the Cuyahoga Falls, OH racer for good.
“Steve and I had one heckuva battle out there and it was a real blast to be able to race him side by side on the high side and the low side,” said Gangwer. “Congratulations to Ray on the win. I thought maybe I had something for him but ran out of time.”
It was then that Warren found himself staring at the rear nerf bar of the Exide Battery, CPR Motorsports sim supermodified of Callahan. It was only after working Callahan over high and low that Warren was able to dispose of Callahan and set sail for the top two.
After a less than perfect practice, Turkey Trot dash, and a spin on the first start, Rob Warren was happy to finish in third place. He said, “I did use up a little bit at the beginning and it took a long, long time for the car to come in. At the end I was running the fastest laps that I had turned all night in race trim. I just worked on catching up to Bob and tried not to run over anyone in the main like i did all night long in practice and the dash.”
Callahan held on for fourth place with early leader Domenic Gioia coming home with a top five.
Earlier in the evening Rob Warren established a new track record for non-wing sim supermodifieds when he stopped the clocks with a time of 18.038 seconds and Ray Sand, Jr. won the six-lap Turkey Trot Dash.
The SUPRS racers will take two weeks off to allow members to spend time with their families over the Thanksgiving holiday. Action fires up again on December 1 for the 12th Annual Wing Side Up Twin 25s at Bristol Motor Speedway. Full details can be found on the SUPRS schedule page
Fans can learn more about the original and oldest online supermodified sim sanction, the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, when they visit www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
11th Annual Turkey Shoot
- November 17, 2015
- Memphis Motorsports Park
- SUPRS rFactor NW V1 mod
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, lap 1, lap 2-best lap underlined)
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Docks & Hoists, Designs of Elegance: 18.191, 18.038 NTR
- 25-Bob Gangwer; Goshen, IN; Wing Side Up Enterprises, RW Woodworking: 18.268, 18.270
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; Rochester, NY; RPM, SandmanRacing.com: 18.281, 18.269
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; CPR Motorsports; Exide Battery: 18.606, 18.461
- 9-Domenic Gioia; Oswego, NY; Genesee Beer, Lizard Lick Towing: 19.197, 18.465
Turkey Trot Dash-6 Laps (showing car number, driver, name)
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.
- 9-Domenic Gioia
- 25-Bob Gangwer
- 55-Steve Callahan
- Rob Warren
Feature-50 Laps (showing car number, driver, name, bonus, fastest lap, distance behind winner)
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr;* ** | 18.258
- 25-Bob Gangwer; 18.142 | +0.358
- 35-Rob Warren; ! | 18.136| +0.948
- 55-Steve Callahan; 18.286 | +4.712
- 9-Domenic Gioia;* | 18.307 | +13.100
Time of Race: 15:31.399
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
SUPRS Turkey Shoot History
- 2015-Ray Sand, Jr. (Memphis Motorsports Park-rFactor)
- 2014-Carl Becker (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2013-Joey Callahan (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2012-Rob Warren (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2011-Dave Biro III (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2010-Dave Biro III (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2009-Ray Sand, Jr. (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2008-Ray Sand, Jr. (Tri-Park Speedway-NASCAR Heat)
- 2007-Kris Heveron (Memphis Motorsports Park-NASCAR Heat)
- 2006-Chris Meyers (Memphis Motorsports Park-NASCAR Heat)
- 2005-John Davidson (Memphis Motorsports Park-NASCAR Heat)