Ray Sand, Jr. Becomes Third SUPRS Driver to Win Jim Shampine Memorial Multiple Times
Oswego, NY – June 9, 2015…Ray Sand, Jr. became the third Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, (SUPRS), competitor to win the Jim Shampine Memorial race more than once Tuesday night. Steve Callahan and Chris Meyers rounded out the podium finishers, with AJ Bernys returning to SUPRS competition for fourth and Rob Warren coming home fifth in the field of 12.
Sand, Jr. joins Myles Maxon (2007-08), and John Davidson (2010-11) as the only other multiple winner of this prestigious event that honors the father of the modern radical off-set supermodified.
“That was tough,” Half-way through that one I was thinking to myself “clean air is the way to go with this rFactor deal.”
The three-time SUPRS Gold Crest Non-Wing Champion used the cautions to his advantage and said, “The yellows kinda played into my favor and was able to get some really good restarts and kinda poke my nose in there. I had a great run off turn two on the 55 and took the lead from him then with three or four to go i went into one and i hit the grate in turn one, ya love that grate you can use it all night long to help turn the car but it screwed me up real good with a couple to go.”
Second place finisher Steve Callahan had his hands full holding Sand, Jr. off when rash of caution flags flew after the half-way point of the race. Sand, Jr. made a surprise move on Callahan after a restart and there was nothing the Cuyahoga Falls, OH driver could do but see his hopes of winning his first SUPRS Jim Shampine Memorial fade as Sand, Jr. pulled away.
“Congrats to Ray he put a good move on me,” said Callahan. “I didn’t expect him to throw it in there off of two and when I hit
the gas the tires just spun then he just drove away.”
Chris Meyers had a good battle with his teammate Ray Sand, Jr. and finished on the podium for the second week in a row.
“I had a good battle with Ray and I thought I had something for Steve I just couldn’t get past the 35 quick enough,” explained Meyers.
Domenic Gioia won the 12 lap heat race for cars not qualifying in the Elite 8.
The race had seven lead changes among three different drivers. There were five cautions for a total of 18 laps with the race taking just a little over 35 minutes to run.
Coming up next for the SUPRS racers is a regular show at Oswego Speedway featuring a 45 lap feature. Official practice starts at 8pm followed by the drivers meeting at 8:30pm and racing at 9pm.
Supermodified and online racing fans can view timing and scoring of every SUPRS race this season with SUPRS LIVE! You’ll be able to keep up with your favorite SUPRS racer in an instant by going to www.SUPRS.net/site/live.
All fans can learn more about the original and oldest online supermodified sim sanction, the Supermodified Ultimate Pavement Racing Series, when they visit www.SUPRS.net. Join SUPRS active and vibrant Social Media channels by “Liking” SUPRS on Facebook, Circling SUPRS on Google+, Following @SUPRSOnline on Twitter, and viewing SUPRS videos on YouTube.
SUPRS RACE RESULTS:
- 10th Annual Jim Shampine Memorial
- June 9, 2015
- SUPRS rFactor NW V1 mod
Time Trials (showing car number, driver name, hometown, sponsors, laps, best lap underlined)
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; Rochester, NY; RPM, SandmanRacing.com: 17.119, 16.800
- 55-Steve Callahan; Cuyahoga Falls, OH; CPR Motorsports, Exide Battery: 17.235, 16.950
- 23-Chris Meyers; Amherst, OH; Adkins Glass, Euphoria Vapors: 17.342, 17.021
- 29-Dave Soja; Amherst, OH; XSTSR: 17.839, 17.137
- 85-Perry Vance; Pataskala, OH; AWOL, Ground Zero w/ Clyde Lewis: 17.431, 17.186
- 35-Rob Warren; Pulaski, NY; 1st to Finish Docks & Hoists, Syracuse Time and Alarm: 17.678, 17.402
- 58-Dave Vance; Pataskala, OH; None: 18.059, 17.488
- 24-AJ Bernys; Oswego, NY; Byrne Dairy, UNOH: 18.201, 17.495
- 61 Dan Shupe; Vermillion, OH; Crown Royal: 17.877, 17.538
- 15-Joey Callahan; Robinson, IL; CPR Motorsports, Fisher’s Performance: 17.876, 17.693
- 9-Domenic Gioia; Oswego, NY; Genesee Beer: 17.834, 17.488
- 14-Joe Achzet; Yorkville, NY; GraphX: NT
- 41-Keith Powell; Geneva, OH; CPR Motorsports, Icing’s on Top: NT
Heat Race 1 – 12 Laps (showing car number, driver name)
- 9-Domenic Gioia
- 61-Dan Shupe
- 14-Joe Achzet
- 41-Keith Powell
- 15-Joey Callahan
Feature – 80 Laps (showing car number, driver, name, bonus, starting position/fastest lap/distance behind winner)
- 18-Ray Sand, Jr.; * ; 3/16.945
- 55-Steve Callahan; * ** ! 1/16.817/+0.651
- 23-Chris Meyers; 4/16.915/+1.348
- 24-AJ Bernys; 8/17.102 /+5.149
- 35-Rob Warren; 2/17.050/+6.525
- 41-Keith Powell; ^ 12/16.952/+1 Lap
- 14-Joe Achzet; 11/17.450/+1 Lap
- 61-Dan Shupe; 10/17.000/+2 Lap
- 58-Dave Vance; 7/17.845/+ 15 Laps
- 85-Perry Vance; 6/17.004/DNF
- 29-Dave Soja; 5/17.029/DNF
- 9-Domenic Gioia; 9/17.149/DNF
- 15-Joey Callahan; DNS
Time of Race: 35:12.743
- * Denotes Lap Led
- ** Denotes Most Laps Led
- ! Denotes Fastest Lap of Race
- ^ Denotes SUPRSCharger